15 January 2007

KARAOKE REPORT 001 - 01/12/07

SONG #1 - "Let's Get it On" by Marvin Gaye: I had previously been informed by Nate that he was the new white soul singer at karaoke since I have not presented since October or so, and this just didn't sit well with me. I think that this proved I am still the king of Motown in this mostly-white, suburban town. Shows them! Pelvic thrust count: none, I think, amazingly.

SONG #2 - "Never Gonna Give You Up" by Rick Astley: I was inspired to tackle this one for the first time over the summer, after an episode of IT'S ALWAYS SUNNY IN PHILADELPHIA the night before featured it prominently (and hilariously). Brandie dared me to do it again. I think that I do it pretty well, except that I get into imitating Astley's voice (which I think I do pretty well), which is probably kind of irritating to those watching with fingers over their eyes. Pelvic thrust count: too many to fit on two hands.

SONG #3 - "It's Tricky" by Run DMC: This one I sang with Krista as a duet. It was the third or fourth time we've done it together and probably was the best of them all. It's hard to keep up with the rhymes but I know the song pretty much inside and out at this point, so it's getting easier. Did a bit of improv, breaking out a sort of call-and-response section with "WHAT!"s while Krista rapped. Pelvic thrust count: none.

SONG #4 - "She Don't Use Jelly" by the Flaming Lips: I have been meaning to do this one for a couple of months now, but every time I would put in a request, they would do last call before I would get called up to sing. This time it worked out, and I was in fact pretty good at it. Coyne's deadpan vocals are sort of hard to do but I think I was OK. There were howls from the crowd for this one. Pelvic thrust count: one or two, probably.

SONG #5 - "Closer" by Nine Inch Nails: Sung with Krista and Jody and one or two other people over the course of the song. I always feel ridiculous doing this one because it really just is the repetition of obscenity over and over and over, which I honestly never really noticed when listening to the song. Pelvic thrust count: more than pelvic thrusting, I at one point mounted by friend Billy's face and gyrated. I wasup to I think around ten shots of mezcal at this point, as well as a couple of gin and tonics and an entire shaker of dirty bong waters.

BONUS SONG #6 - "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen: This was done a capello after last call. It was started by my friend Brian after they refused to do another song. We got pretty much the entire bar to sing along. I did mouth guitar and the opera parts. You missed it, maaan.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home